Design & UX
- Status: Active
- Bottom-liner: rotates monthly!
- Working Group members (alphabetically): Benjamin Nickolls, Bernard Tyers, Eriol Fox, Georgia Bullen, Justin W. Flory, Memo Esparza, Perrie Ojemeh, Richard Littauer
How to get involved
Attend our community call on the Second Monday of the month at 17.00 GMT / 18.00 CET + WAT / 12.00 EST as of January 2022 timeszone calculations on this Jitsi link. As the year progresses please note that some timezones go through day light savings and therefore the time will change for some locations by one hour. The best way to stay on top of start time of meetings is to read through our past conversations on the Sustain Discourse forum thread and join us on Slack where Open Collective are hosting us on their slack on the channel #open-design-discussions.
You can also access our historical notes document on google docs here.
We’re working on populating this UNICEF maintained inventory of design resources that can be used widely by OSS groups.
Attend a meeting
Anything on the Taiga board look interesting? Do you have a new idea not yet listed to share? Come attend one of our monthly meetings and say hi!
To attend a meeting, there is nothing you have to do first. You can show up and say hello. Just bring yourself! If you have some time, share a short introduction in our Working Group intro thread.
Facilitate a meeting
After you attend a couple of meetings, you will better understand our flow and how we work on things. Try taking the reins in one meeting as a bottom-liner! Being bottom-liner means you take responsibility for that month’s meeting.
Responsibilities usually include the following:
- Prepare an agenda for that month’s meeting (from a template)
- Follow-up on action items with individuals before the meeting
- Facilitate conversation during that month’s call (similar to a panel moderator)
- Ask and encourage questions to other Working Group members
- Maintain a friendly and inclusive atmosphere for the duration of the call (with support from the Working Group!)
Take notes for a meeting
Are you a good note-taker? Do you have a talent for summarizing spoken ideas into text on-the-fly? We always need good note-takers! Not everyone can attend our meeting every month, so it is good to have thorough notes to the benefit of active members who are unable to join that month’s call. If you want to help as a note-taker, attend one of our meetings and let the meeting bottom-liner know!
- Contribute to a roadmap for how design contributes to open source sustainability
- Discuss how design intersects with the sustainability mindset
- Explore and define best practices and guidance on sustainable design
- Storytelling about example practices
- Create a community space for design conversations related to open source!
- Support projects around usability, design and adoption
- Share resources
- Host a fun podcast to share our conversations more widely
Explore our tasks on our Taiga board
If you are first getting started, take a look at our Working Group kanban board. The kanban board is a tool to guide our conversations and areas of focus each meeting. It is a good place to look for what we are currently discussing and working on.
Help build resources
We have a nascent GitHub repository which we will use to store documents and resources for designers and open source projects interested in design. Check it out, and submit PRs, open issues, and propose other resources we could add.
Guest star on the Sustaining Open Source Design (SOS Design) podcast
Did you know you could guest-star on the Sustaining Open Source Design podcast? Join the panelists for an episode and share what is on yoru mind in the Open Source design world! To reserve a spot on the show, fill out the Calendly scheduler and a host will be in touch with next steps.